Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday the 31st..and a full moon!!

TGIF!! Today is not only Friday...which the kids are happy about, but it's the last Friday of August...which means I have permission from the hubby to start decorating for Halloween!!

Oh..and it's a Blue Moon tonight~ super SPOOKY!!

Normally I get crazy during the middle of summer~ I know 'crazy' right?? It's my absolute favorite holiday...I love to make crafts, cards and gifts too!! In the past I have made a few spooky trees, this year my tree was quite a workout!! I ventured out on a bike ride with my son Aiden and while on a path through the woods I found 'THE ONE'. You know...how it just speaks to you? Just like picking the right Christmas tree. So the problem? It wasn't just a cute little branch..it was a tree!! I couldn't even break it into two pieces to bring it home!

I was SO determined (I mean..what if I had left it and came back for it with John's (hubby) truck and someone had the same thought that I did and took it...! So...I rested part of it on the handlebars and pedalled ALL the way home...probably looking somewhat like a freak!

Anyway...once home, John sawed it into two pieces and I spray painted them black (this time I used a satin black spraypaint).I bought an urn..some rocks and voila!



I loved Kimberly's ornaments she made one Halloween, so check out her tutorial here for the cones and here for the scallop square ornament. I used the new Howlstooth & Scaringbone DSP (126906) from the Holiday Mini Catalog for mostly all of the ornaments. They will be filled with some black tulle and treats for holiday...just can't fill them yet because the kids will eat em' all up!
Close up's:




This last one is the owl...turned upside down and the feet cut off...cute huh?? Spooky??

With the left over scallop pieces from the Perfect Pennant die, I made these cute little ornaments...these rosettes were made using the 2 3/8" scallop circle punch (118874).


Other supplies used: Bat punch (on the clearance rack!), Champagne glimmer paper (127885), spider web embossing folder (120889), First Edition DSP (121878), Simply Scored (122334), decorative label punch (120907), Timeless Type Alphabets (retired), Scallop Squares Duo (120903), extra-large oval punch (119859), clear embossing powder (109130), antique brads (117273), linen thread (104199), modern label punch (119849), owl punch (118074), scallop square punch (119884), jewelry tag punch (117190), 1/16" circle handheld punch (101227), vintage trinkets (118764), rhinestones (119246)...and lastly~EVERYTHING was sprayed with Champagne Shimmer mist!!

Yes...you guessed it~ the glue gun was this girls BFF over the last few days!!

Now...as you will see I used a few retired Halloween sets...and I was very proud of myself for doing so!! I loved them so much I felt bad that they were sitting in a box being neglected~ I was wishing I had ordered Toxic Treats (127898 c) but I was a good girl and didn't~ well not until the other day...when I just HAD to have it (you know how it is)! So when that baby is all inked up..I will share some goodies with it! Stay tuned!

Here using the same paper...I created a one-sided banner. The letters were created with the Serif Essentials die for the Big Shot...can't believe that it is retired..I still use it ALL the time!
 
 
 
Lastly here is a wreath that I made: don't you love the spider?? The rhinestones were colored black with a permanent Sharpie marker (only takes a minute or so to dry!) Here is the tutorial that I followed on making the wreath. Total sheets of the DSP that I used for all items (banner, ornaments AND wreath were 6 sheets!!) In her video she used 6 sheets on her wreath, you could add more and your end result would be that it is a 'fuller' wreath.
Here is a close-up:
 
 
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!
Have a great spooky night!
 


No comments:

Blogging tips